Thursday, November 17, 2016

Overwhelmed Being Innovative and Feeling It

"With great responsibility comes great reward," said Voltaire and then reiterated by Spiderman. Although it feels good to be in a place where I can be in a position to make change, it is overwhelming the feelings that come with it. I wish that I could have time to take a step back and breathe a bit.

I have taken a lot of flack for wanting to be innovative, and I've tried to let it flow like water off a duck's back. It takes a lot of time and energy to research the different ways we can bring new ideas and learning in to the classroom, but luckily, I have friends who are on the front lines with me fighting the good fight. It still gets lonely sometimes.

I presented at CAST last Saturday with two of my most innovative friends and the Science department. It was probably one of the best experiences of my life, but it was also shrouded in darkness knowing that people from my own school weren't in the class to support two of their own. On the bright side, it was a wonderful presentation that included Weiss via Skype, and four separate presentations collaborated in to one. It was truly a blending of minds and ideas. We seemed to engage and encourage the attendees to break out of their comfort zone and join us in innovating their classrooms. In fact, a woman from Sherwood reached out to me for help in illustrating what blended might look like with her kids. I need to concentrate on the good and leave the gloom behind.

I need to regroup and make it my mission to seek out and offer support to the innovative ones that have been scared into hiding and doing things the way we've always done them.  They need me as much as I need them.

There are always fireflies in the darkest of nights, and I need to venture out and find them.

1 comment:

  1. Fireflies! I've been thinking that metaphor quite a bit also. Such a beautiful image - one or two flashes, but when you get a cloud of them, they can illuminate the landscape. Stay focused on what truly matters - the students and the relationships you build.

    ReplyDelete