There is nothing I dread more on earth than the ominous blank page. I have been sitting here staring at this for the last 30 minutes, willing myself to write something. But nothing is coming to mind.
Why is it is so difficult for me to write down on paper what I'm thinking in my head?!
I never shy away from reflection, but I never make it so permanent as to put down my thoughts on a sheet of paper. Heaven forbid that someone actually sees my inner thoughts in Arial typeface! However, I have no problem reflecting verbally with anyone...even myself (I'm a good listener). I believe that I've come to the realization that writing down my reflections slows down the process for me. I tend to reflect on the fly (i.e., in the car driving home, grocery shopping, walking the dog) and formally sitting down to write down my thoughts forces me to reflect when I am not ready.
I am beginning to shift my thoughts about having to write my reflection. I'm thinking of tying 2 new approaches: 1. Recording myself talking when the mood strikes or 2. Writing down what I was thinking after my self-talks (ignoring grammar, spelling, and generally everything that I worry when I write down my thoughts).
This is NOT going to be easy for me, but I'm committing to try this from now until the end of the school year. I am asking all of you to hold me accountable!
In 3 weeks I'm heading to a 2-day conference on Computational Thinking, where we will be coding all day. I am excited, but know there will be challenges ahead for me! I'm going to consciously focus on reflecting and writing down my thoughts at the end of the conference. Hopefully, this will bring clarity for myself when I return to SBISD and begin to share my learning with others. Wish me luck!
Thank you for being open and transparent here! You have exposed me to some insights and realities that were unfamiliar to me, but I am sure there are others that share your experience with "the blank page". Your thoughts here have created a new space for empathy in me when working with others in this area. And, consider yourself held accountable:) I got your back Amy! Down with "blank page" tyranny! You got lots of insight that needs to be emancipated and shared with the world:)
ReplyDeleteThank you Shelby!
DeleteAmy,
ReplyDeleteI will try to reflect, also, during the Computational Thinking seminar, even though writing and coding seem like oil and water to me. Thanks for sharing.
Scheduling a time to blog has been difficult for me as well. I feel the same that you do - I have lots of ideas and think that I have a ton to say, and then the screen pops up and I forget everything that I thought was meaningful. I've started saving websites and articles to Keep so I can refer back to it, and keep a running list of blog starters in Wunderlist. It helps to have those things handy. Whatever tricks work, right? Keep fighting the good fight. Practice makes easier. :)
ReplyDelete