Friday, January 19, 2018

Leadership: From Rags to Riches




Leadership: From Rags to Riches

The Rags
I graduated from Florida Gulf Coast University with my degree in Elementary Education. I was ready to take on the world of education with brand new ideas. I packed up my college dorm room and made the 29 hour drive to Houston, TX. Not knowing anything about the area I secured my first job in another district teaching first grade. Needless to say, I didn't have the best experience. In fact, I absolutely despised teaching. I was a sinking ship full of panicking passengers. My students wouldn't listen, I didn't have a clue what TEKS were (Florida uses Sunshine State Standards), and I didn't even know where the faculty restroom was on my campus. I didn't have much support from my administrators and came home every day in tears of frustration. I was so close to throwing in the towel and deciding teaching wasn't for me. I actually went and met with a naval officer to try and join the Navy. Turns out I didn't qualify to fly jets for the Navy because medical conditions, so I only had teaching to fall back on in order to make my life 'successful'. I decided to try one more school in another district, and that is when God sent me Spring Branch ISD.

The Inspirations
I walked into my interview with Vivian Pratts at Edgewood Elementary and immediately fell in love. The building being beautiful was enough in itself, especially since my last school looked like a jail yard with metal detectors, but Mrs. Pratts was a gift sent from heaven. She was the principal and mentor I needed to remind myself teaching was for me. She saw something in me and has pushed me to leadership ever since our first time meeting in my interview. She immediately got me involved at school with various projects, invited me to attend district events, and introduced me to many important people. By working with Mrs. Pratts I slowly began to realize that I do possess leadership potential, and it is something I am very much interested in and want to pursue. So because of her I have begun taking the leadership journey.

The Riches
So now I'm sitting here in Vanguard Onboarding. I am taking on as many leadership opportunities as possible. I am concentrating on building my network of professional educators and filling my brain with as much knowledge as possible. I have met and formed relationships with many ingenious people in this district, and learn something amazing everyday. Over the summer I had the fantastic opportunity to be in the first cohort of aspiring leaders, and got be an intern for Jennifer Blaine. It was a fantastic experience this past summer. Due to that internship many other opportunities presented themselves. I am currently engaged in itslearning daily with my students which allowed me to lead staff developments on my campus and at the district level. Everyday leadership is at the forefront in my mind, and I can't wait for the next steps. My next step is to pass graduate school, get my principal certification, and become an AP this upcoming school year. Everyday, due to a completely packed scheduled, I tell myself 'just breathe'. Everything will all come together with time.

6 comments:

  1. You are a great writer! I really appreciated your honesty when you described being a, "sinking ship full of panicking passengers." It gave me flashbacks of the struggle of my first year of teaching and I felt (was) the captain of the same ship.

    The onboarding today was a day I will never forget. It was both exciting and overwhelming to be in a room full of great teachers. It is so rewarding to reflect and see how much we grow and change as teachers, and even better to know that we're not in the journey alone!

    Congrats on pursuing Grad School and your next steps~ you've got this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m overwhelmed by your frank honesty Rebecca. I want every first year or struggling teacher to read this. This profession is so difficult, and it is the relationships that make or break it! Kudos to you for trying one more time, and to your principal for helping to cut you out of the “rough” and into a sparkling jewel!
    Also - your other career was to be Maverick from Top Gun? Girl, you are all kinds of hard core!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In college my professors always told me the first three years of teaching is survival mode. I didn't really believe them until I was experiencing it myself.

      And yes, I love airplanes and adrenaline. My dad was a fighter pilot in the US Navy, so I grew up around jets my entire life. He now flys for United Airlines. That is the only other profession I could picture myself doing, but teaching is obviously my passion :)

      Delete
  3. It's nice to hear from one of the aspiring leaders! So glad many opportunities presented themselves!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aspiring leadership program was AMAZING! And yes, it has given me so many endless opportunities now. I'm very blessed! :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete